Related Books

Madonna dell'Alno (Our Lady of the White Poplar), Canzano, Teramo, Abruzzo, Italy

Commemorated on May 18
Madonna dell'Alno (Our Lady of the White Poplar), Canzano, Teramo, Abruzzo, Italy
The church was founded as an oratory , in 1480 , as a result of the Marian apparition took place in May of the same year . According to tradition, the Virgin Mary appeared on the top of an alder , not far away, the farmer John Floro and expressed the wish that in that place there was built a church dedicated to her. The church, now parish is the center of devotion canzanese , was actually built and dedicated to Our Lady dell'Alno in the year 1592 by the Congregation of the Most Holy Rosary as reported by the inscription on the portal : " Societas rosaries erigendum curavit AD 1592 ".
The original Renaissance building is only a stone portal that shows mirrors and washers. The prospectus and the stucco decoration of the classroom are due to the renovation work of 1750, while the brick bell tower is from the year 1810.
The church inside the font of the seventeenth century resting on a pedestal carved with motifs of acanthus leaves , a wooden reliquary of the eighteenth century , and canvas paintings dating from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries . Among these, of particular value is the altarpiece of the Madonna of the Rosary , which is located behind the altar, followed by Pasquale Rico Montereale , depicted with St. Dominic and St. Nicholas of Bari attributed to the workshop of Francesco Solimena.

Source: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canzano 

Shrines

Resources

Additional information