Related Books

Madonna della Misericordia, Gallivaggio, Italy

Commemorated on October 10
Madonna della Misericordia, Gallivaggio, Italy
On October 10, 1492, in Gallivaggio above Chiavenna, two peasant women who were collecting chestnuts said they saw a majestic woman who turned out to be the Virgin Mary appeared to convert sinners, to remind the faithful to sanctify the holidays, to pray and to do penance. place on a chapel was built, following a church; flocked here over the centuries, many pilgrims.
 
The Sanctuary
 
The current building is the third building, begun in 1598 and consecrated on January 29, 1615, on the site where two girls Lirone, families Buzzetti and Gianotti, while collecting chestnuts, announced that they had seen Our Lady, Wednesday, October 10, 1492, a period where Protestantism was trying to penetrate the Italian. 
The Virgin appeared in an extraordinary light, relies on two girls his message of warning, of hope and appeal to a renewed and authentic Christian life, calling to prayer and penance to obtain from God's mercy. 
Immediately after the Apparition chapel was built of wood, then replaced by another brick 
The shrine was erected between 1598 and 1603, consecrated in 1615, while the bell tower and isolated in 1731. In 1741 the granite boulder, on which Our Lady had put your foot from the center of the Sanctuary was taken in the sanctuary and in 1900 was advanced under the new canteen facing the people, built with pieces of the balustrade.
 
From the street you enter the forecourt of the National Shrine of scale through a seventy-two granite steps, with a large cross on top also of granite with a bronze Christ. 
The facade is simple and harmonious, with a gabled roof. 
The interior has three naves with vaults supported by monolithic columns of granite. 
The 'altar is a Baroque work in polychrome marble, and the niche containing the group of wooden, gilded and painted, representing the'' Apparition, a beautiful Madonna and Child with two girls, in 1631, crowned in 1742 and restored in 1993. 
Valuable frescoes in the presbytery, recently restored. 
The presbytery and the left side chapel are frescoes by Domenico Caresana Cureglia (1603-1605) and represent the main facts of the life of Jesus and Mary: 
the Nativity, the Marriage, the Annunciation, the Assumption, the Adoration of the Shepherds, the Adoration of the Magi, Joseph's dream, the flight into Egypt. 
The blade of the ancient altar in the left aisle today, is the work of Paul Camillo Landriani said Duchino (1606), and represents the Virgin crowned by the Trinity. In the right aisle there is an oil painting on canvas, Ligari Caesar (1739), which depicts the Crucified One in five Franciscan Saints. The organ was funded by the emigrants in Palermo in 1673. The facade was restored in 1971.
 
The festivals are celebrated in the Shrine:
 
the solemn reminder of the Apparition October 10;
 
the feast of Saints Joachim and Anna, July 26, and all liturgical Marian feasts.
 
The second Sunday in June is held the day dell'Ammalat.
 
Weekday Mass at 17, preceded by the Rosary. 
S. festive Masses: 10,30-17.00 hours (20.30 during the months of July and August)
 
Opening hours: 7-12 / 15-18
 
The Sanctuary is entrusted to the pastoral care of the Fathers Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
 
Attached to the Shrine is the "Casa del Pellegrino": 
Activity: hospitality 
Open: all year 
Type guests: church groups, Catholic associations, pilgrims in general. 
Accommodation: 45 beds 
Services: chapel, meeting room and park 
(The building is currently undergoing restructuring. It is expected that the work will be completed in 1999)
 
At the Sanctuary there is also a restaurant with dishes that organizes dinners for up to 100 people. 
Tel: 0343/33565.
 
Shrine of the Apparition of the Virgin Mary - Via Gallivaggio 8/Bis 23020 S. PHILIP JAMES - Tel fax: 0343/32193 (Diocese of Como)

Source: http://www.mariadinazareth.it/apparizione%20gallivaggio.htm 

History

While Christopher Columbus, after thirty-five days of hard and difficult navigation, is about to touch the shores of the New World, the Virgin deigned to appear at a place called Grualle Garivalle or, in the remote and wild valley of St. James, now known to tourists as Spluga Valley. The times are very sad for the great poverty, but especially for frequent fratricidal conflicts which disturb the laborious life of the local population. A flurry of news in the religious field also (is maturing Luther's Reformation), is invading Europe, and Chiavenna, which is the essential and convenient for the center of Switzerland and Germany, suffers the evil effects. 
Grualle is a veritable forest of chestnut trees, the trunk twisted and battered by the fury of the time and boulders that often fall by hundreds of meters high, the cliff overlooking the valley. In this place, Wednesday, October 10, 1492, early in the morning two girls and families Buzzetti Gianotti, are collecting chestnuts, chestnuts are valuable for the poor people, and so the girls work hard to make it more racimolarne they can. After bustling, sit tired, on a rock at the pond, to rest. Suddenly you see blinded by a strange glow that can not be confused with the light of the sun, so it is fascinating and different. Appears to them a young girl who goes harmoniously growing proportions and becomes majestic woman. A veil falls from the head on the shoulders, and the flutter around in festive dance like butterflies, various angels, his feet rest on one of the many boulders in the area. The two girls after a moment of surprise and fright, sure to be in front of the Blessed Virgin, kneeling and making bold wonder why she has appeared in a place so desert. The Virgin with affability, after asking them if the harvest of chestnuts is enough, he replied: "I go in every place where there are no sinners to convert. My Son is disgusted by the behavior of men and I myself have interposed, crying out to Him mercy ... You say if sinners will amend it not, that if you do not observe the duties better holidays, that if you do not make works of prayer and penance, the wrath of the Son of God come down to terrible punish humanity ... the only way He will hear my prayer for your salvation. " Having said that the Virgin disappears. 
It is easy to imagine the enthusiasm with which the two girls tell simply had the appearance and relate the words heard. There are those who believe in their story, but there are also those who are skeptical and incredulous. However, when the graces and miracles multiply, (even a dead child is raised in place as soon as she posed on the rock where the feet of the Madonna) enthusiasm turns into proactive works well, and while in the winter, in December begins construction a church that is already blessed on May 31, 1493, seven months after the apparition. In a few years the church becomes real church, but soon even this is insufficient and is shot down. In 1598 it began construction of the magnificent sanctuary with three naves, consecrated in 1615. In 1742, the Chapter of Canons of St. Peter in the Vatican decrees and offers a golden crown to crown the beautiful wooden statue of the Madonna, still highly revered. 
"The story of the apparition is contained in a parchment written in Latin, the original of which has unfortunately been lost, but which had already been seen and controlled copy faithfully Macolino by Feltrinelli, and printed in its exact history of the apparition of the whose veracity can not be doubted cautiously. All historians of the sanctuary reported in Latin and then translate freely in the Italian story with an account of the apparition of the first through content in the above writing or parchment ".1 
The Archives of the Episcopal Curia of Como, in the folder of the pastoral visit of Bishop Torriani in Chiavenna - Gallivaggio file - there is a copy of the famous seventeenth-century Latin parchment. 
Always the motherly kindness of the Madonna invites all her sons to repentance and prayer, to correct their lives, sanctifying the holidays and fleeing occasions of evil.
 
                                                                    Don Mario Morra SDB
 
IMAGE: 
The wooden statue of Our Lady of Mercy in Santurio Gallivaggio (SO)
Peppino Cerfoglia 1, The Sanctuary of Gallivaggio (Chiavenna, Centre for Historical Studies, 1975).
MARY HELP OF MAGAZINE 2001-9 

Source:  http://www.donbosco-torino.it/ita/Maria/calendario/2000-2001/Abbiamo visto la Madonna.html

Shrines

Resources

Additional information