Related Books

Santa María del Pueblito, Mexico

Commemorated on October 17
Santa María del Pueblito, Mexico Even the distant years of 1631 and 1632 the happy home of the miraculous image and title of Santa Maria de El Pueblito back, for this was the time when the humble priest and religious Franciscan Friar Sebastian Gallegos, skilled and inspired sculptor, who lived in the convent of San Francisco el Grande city of Queretaro, carved in his studio and with his own hands this image depicting the Blessed Virgin Mary in the mystery of her Immaculate Conception. 

Source: http://forosdelavirgen.org/353/santa-maria-del-pueblito-mexico-17-de-octubre/ 

History

Father Gallegos gave the small picture to his confrere Fr Nicholas Zamora, then cure Queretaro and doctrinero of the surrounding places, who, just haunted by the persistent insistence of the citizens of El Pueblito in their idolatrous worship, despite Christian instruction, placed the year of 1632, in a chapel or shrine near the cué where natives practiced idolatry.
It is not known what the exact place that this chapel occupied. Don Valentin F. Frias, who published their queretanas Legends and traditions in the period between 1896 and 1898 in the Illustrated Time, City newspaper, said that at that time there were still "a skirt Cerrito, east side," the remains the place where his father Zamora placed and regrets that no one cared, but they were doing before the stones disappear.
In El Pueblito, municipality of Corregidora in Queretaro there is a pre-Columbian pyramid. It is said that the Virgin of Pueblito has an idol inside that pyramid from.
 
CONVERSION OF NATIVE
The natives, going to meetings, find the image, and watched the first bewitched by its beauty, and then convinced by the miracles that God began to work through them certainly experienced the change that led, finally abandoned idolatry, to the Christian faith. God does not disdain to make use of humble means, he used the image of the Blessed insignificance to bring the natives of this region to union with Christ!
Here's how they narrate the historical moment two writers, one historic and one contemporary:
Entróles love Mary for her eyes, watching and admiring such beauty and majesty in this wonderful image, it will not be the first time that the eyes are the weapons with which the hearts surrender. Lest any rebuke me if I said they entered the faith and love of religion by the sight of this celestial Conqueror, arranging and facilitating the doors of the ears to make safer and smoother entry through evangelical preaching , in [...] those dark souls demon then lost its former empire in that place, it fell from the throne, with overlapping scheme, was erected in that field, and the seminar idolatry and superstition became, in a solar wonders and wonders in heaven. (Fray Vilaplana Hermenegildo, and Sacred History novena of the Miraculous Image of Our Lady of Pueblito, chap. II)
Graciosa, weightless, compared to the colossal Toltec pyramid, where the new indigenous idolatry David vs. Goliath takes refuge celestial figure of the Virgin Little stands. Dressed goes to heaven. The stars cintilan in his cloak. The moon posase your plants His single view snatches the gentle heart! On that morning, with great noise, resquebrájase the middle of the night and its dark crown wheel to the abyss. The moment, solemn and grand, and dread resonates waves of tenderness. Miracle!, Reverently pronounce Aboriginal. Miracle!, Bursts missionary. Miracle! Exclaims the conqueror. Miracle! Proclaim generations. (J. Guadalupe Ramirez, Echoes of the coronation of Santa Maria del Pueblito, Querétaro, 1949, P-25)
And the image, although not entirely subject to universal canons of artistic beauty has something special that inspires confidence and filial steals the heart: his forehead is large and clear, his eyes are sharp crystals by the hovering a heart full of mercy and goodness, his thin lips closed and are ready to friendly smile, her perfect nose and chin dimple indicate nobility light, the fullness of her oval face and swarthy reflects innocence and candor, her hands shells that keep solicitous pearls of divine blessings, peace and joy awakened in the soul, and finally, her poise and presence of Lady and Mother is sweet, serene, tender, gentle and kind, is it all a true "transcript of the mother is in heaven" (J. Guadalupe Ramirez, Echoes of ..., p. 22).
And to this we must add the singular gift of miracle-worker that endowed the sky, so that the gentle reader may be a hint that rare gift of miracles, simply read the aforementioned book, written by Father Vilaplana and contemplates the countless testimonies of all goods and graces that God bestows upon his children at the request of his Blessed Mother has been invoked by them in their venerable title or image of El Pueblito.
That was how, for these reasons, the year 1632 the veneration among the inhabitants of these places, the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of Jesus, our Lord and Saviour at Worshipful Image of Santa Maria de El Pueblito began.
 
IMAGE
Is the Venerable image, an entire class representing the Blessed Mother of God, standing, with both hands together palms and chest, the tips of the feet, shoes in black and without figures, appear parco bordered on the edge of the robe and settle on a crescent moon hovering just ends by the right and left sides of the Holy Image and the whole rests on a small circular base and sober.
The image in full measure fifty-three and a half centimeters and weighs one kilo fifty grams, weights and measures that were found by the Reverend Father Fray Leopoldo Campos, March 31, 1965 in the presence of some of the religious of the then Convent Nasturtiums Queretaro and convent of Poor Clares today. The same day and year, the sculptor J. Jesús Rodríguez and Antonio Tovar cabinetmaker, after careful examination of the image, the view that "is made with cane brittle material quiote" but the truth is that it is made of cane corn.
Dress worn as a tunic circular neck, belted at the waist, runs very slight folds to rest, with soft movement to the sides of the feet, it adds a cloak whose ends, one hidden and one visible, together on the left side of the waist, dropping the rest on a wave on his left knee.
It Venerable picture by him, to his right hand, an image of the Child Jesus, also standing, holding in his left hand a small metal globe and right in the act of blessing. It seems that this image was made later and it seems for reasons such as: not a single case has been rendered to the Blessed Virgin, in her Immaculate Conception, having beside him to the Child Jesus, the material that is made is solid and not the material of the image of the Sweet Mother wood, and, unlike the latter, which has the only drawn eyes, the image of the Divine Child has the eyes of enamel, and this, plus it has not missed "unique voice and steering wheel", which was then put (Valentin F. Frias, Legends and ..., p. 163).
The image of the Only Begotten of the Father measured ten inches tall, weighs two hundred and sixty grams, is full size without any dress and, until the late nineteenth century, wearing the head touched powers, while from the first half of the twentieth century wears crown and halo.
A triangle-shaped cloud base makes both images, which is supported by the vertex and with a projection on the upper right side on which the image appears Divino Infante. It is likely that this cloud is also the beginning of last century, for Don Valentin F. Frias and in 1898, to publish The Humbug of Queretaro, and in 1900, when the legends and traditions queretanas appear before the mentions and implies which, by its absence, the image of the Child God rests on the floor: "The Venerable image has his feet right up the Child Jesus," says after stating that a sculpture of San Francisco "holding on his head three worlds on which rests the Holy Effigy ", and Don José María Zelaa and Hidalgo, who wrote in 1803 his Glorias de Querétaro, clearly states:" The child that accompanies it is down to his skilful side, next to a statue of Our Seraphic Father San Francisco, which serves as a pedestal. "
Along the front side of the cloud, is a statue of St. Francis of Assisi, in which the Patriarch appears kneeling and holding with both hands three worlds that rest on your head and symbolize the three orders founded: monks, nuns and Secular Franciscans. The sculpture is made of solid wood, is sixty-one centimeters from head to knees and from these to the bank of habit, twenty-six inches. According to Don Valentin Frias Frias is a carving dating around the years 1830-1840. Actually, that one of San Buenaventura and were made in 1869 for the same purpose.
From 29 March to 3 April 1965, Antonio Tovar removed the paintings that had been laid, of which the last, and discolored, was pink in the green tunic and blue mantle and he restored the original golden currently extends even to the part of the hair, which is straight, usually plentiful and ends on the back, almost to shoulder height.
 
SIGNIFICANT DATES the invocation
So deep was, from the beginning, the devotion of the people and government of the Blessed Virgin in this title and title, the fourth of the ordinances of the city of Querétaro, given on June 15, 1731 by the City Council, approved by viceroy Juan de Acuña, on 17 December the same year, and confirmed by Philip V of Spain in Aranjuez, the July 6, 1733, it is said that whenever experiencing drought, a public pest or epidemic, seek under the sponsorship and patronage of the Blessed Lady.
The Franciscans were not far behind in this devotion and January 15, 1745, in San Francisco temple city of Queretaro, solemnly swore Reverend Father Fray Antonio de Villalba Provincial Principal Patroness of the province of the glorious apostles St. Pedro and San Pablo of Michoacán and its chapters. And on September 28, 1787, the oath was confirmed by the Congregation of Rites of the Holy See.
There was less devotion of the military and the October 29, 1810, in the church of Santa Clara, was proclaimed royalist armies Yahtzee by Manuel Flon and Ignacio García Rebollo, who was imposed band and baton. On the occasion of this oath, Don Felix Maria Calleja put the image on their flags. In 1863 he returned to jurarla General Tomas Mejia, turning to impose band. These belts and canes can be found in the "Living Museum" Shrine of Our Lady of El Pueblito.
On the occasion of this proclamation, the governor decreed that it passes in front of the palace will submit weapons. What was done well: the sentinel shouted the order "guard Your Majesty" and immediately the troops formed with flags at the head, accompanied by trumpets and beating drums overdrive, presenting arms and bending one knee. Also, going by the prison was put in front of the Sacred Image and mayor opened wide the gates, so that the prisoners, from the inside, promoted more prayers to the Mother who is afflicted. This proclamation and these uses it originated, remained in force, once proclaimed Independence to the Reform Laws (1860-1861) who established the separation of Church and State and prevented this public manifestation of faith.
The May 23, 1821 , fearing that the forces of Don Agustin de Iturbide was seize El Pueblito, the city of Querétaro asked Fray Francisco de Jesús Ballesteros and other religious who moved to this city the Venerable 2 picture for security purposes, the request was accepted and i June, the same year the transfer was made, on this occasion a novena was held in the parish of Santiago, where he moved on day 2, at seventeen hours and then was deposited in the temple San Francisco.
The June 5, 1822 , the council sent do a novena to ask God for the good government of Emperor Augustine I (Iturbide). To this end the Venerable image moved to Santa Clara on June 6th and 7th at the parish of Santiago. And on January 31, 1823, another novena to cease an epidemic disease afflicting the population. The Venerable image moved to February 3, Santa Clara, and the 4th to the parish of Santiago.
The February 29, 1829 , the October 5, 1833 and October 3, 1850, the State Legislature enacted measures to dignify and promote your worship, plus the June 3, 1830, decreed that the governor swore Patron state, so the Governor Don Manuel Lopez gave its provisions Ecala about day 5 and made oath on August 8, in the parish of Santiago. In 1867, because of the site that Republicans put Queretaro 14-March to 15 May, was transferred to the church of Santa Clara.
The April 13, 1875 , in the council hall of the Cathedral, Bishop Ramon Camacho Garcia, second bishop of Querétaro and the diocesan council: José María Ochoa archdeacon and canons José María Alegre, Manuel Soria and Brena, Luis Ismael G. and A. Jiménez Borja, proclaimed Patroness of the Diocese of Querétaro and the cathedral chapter of it. Act a year later was renovated.
On June 2, 1870 , Pius IX granted the diocese holding your party with the Divine Office and Mass of the Common of the Blessed Virgin at Easter time, excepted the antiphons for Lauds and Vespers chants. The August 12, 1908, St. Pius X granted the diocese elevation rite celebration noting the date of this before the second Sunday after Easter Sabbath. The November 13, 1918 Pope Benedict XV granted the Franciscan Province Office and own mass, and June 11, 1919 extended this concession to the diocese. The May 16, 1923 the Congregation of Rites approved the sixth lesson of Job, historical, and June 7, 1951, at the request of the Most Reverend Father Fray Fernando de Jesús García granted be included in it regarding the coronation the patronage episcopal city.
The June 8, 1914 , fearing desecration, was transferred to San Francisco de Querétaro, Hidden on 29 July, the day the last of that month, under the responsibility of the then Warden of San Francisco, Fray Antonio López, sandwiched the house of María del Rosario Solorio, located at 7 Old street of Chirimoyo, current street Pasteur number 139, until August 1, 1917, when he moved to the Temple of San Antonio, where he was exposed the veneration day 2 at six in the morning, and after a solemn novena beginning on the 3rd, moved to its sanctuary.
The October 12, 1922 , Pius XI granted the papal coronation requested by the Bishop Don Francisco Benegas Galván and Provincial Commissioner, Very Reverend Father Fray Buenaventura Tovar, naming as his proxy to that effect to the apostolic delegate Mr. Don Ernesto Filippi Scoccia who could not fulfill parcel due to expulsion against him declared President Alvaro Obregon, the January 13, 1923, at the request of the "League Anticlerical Mexican" randada by foreign Bethlehem Zárraga and supported by Article 33 of the Constitution, for blessing and put in the name of Pius XI two days before the first stone of the second monument to Christ the King in Goblet, and have proclaimed Christ, King of Mexico: left the country on 18 of the same year .
Given these events he appointed his representative, June 7, 1923, the archbishop of Morelia, Michoacán, Don Leopoldo Ruiz y Flores, who could not fulfill the order: first by concerns that sowed the nationwide movement delahuertista , then for the gestation of the religious persecution of President Plutarco Elias Calles, and exile that he asked Congress against the October 4, 1932, the same date that Mr. Ruiz y Flores left the country, and decreed by President Abelardo R. Rodríguez, in reply to the encyclical Acerba animi, given by Pius XI 29 the previous month and lamenting that the government had not complied with the agreement in 1929 between President Emilio Portes Gil and apostolic delegate, the same Mr. Ruiz y Flores, on the cessation of the Cristero War-return temples and respect for life Cristero who laid down their weapons, and, finally, for having prevented his death on December 15, 1941.
During the years of persecution pedicure -1926-1929, in the state of Querétaro, the Venerable image was hidden in the same sanctuary convent of El Pueblito, ensuring their safety the Very Reverend Father Fray Buenaventura Tovar Venerable Brother and Brother Cordero Muñoz.
The May 3, 1942 attended, in the church of Santa Clara, the role and the novena that preceded it, that on the twenty-fifth anniversary of the priestly ordination of the priest Don Cesareo Munguia, then pastor of the Sacred Heart Jesus was made.
The January 27, 1943 , Mr. Bishop Don Marciano Estrada Tinajero and Pope Pius XII asked "Do you accept dignéis send with your authority and your august name be crowned." On 7 October the same year the Holy Father answered Coronation granting and delegating to it the same Bishop Don Marciano Tinajero, who performed the solemn coronation on October 17, 1946 in exhuerta the convent of the Holy Cross of Miracles then held by the 17th Military Zone, then occupied by the CREA, before INJUVE after announcing in a pastoral letter of May 4 and read in all the temples the next day.
The December 17, 1946 moved to Querétaro to be present at the jubilee celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of the priestly ordination of Mr. Tinajero, on the 27th of the same year.
The October 17, 1948 , Mr. Tinajero proclaimed Principal Patroness of the episcopal city; patronage confirmed Pius XII on October 11, 1949.
The May 15, 1954 , on the occasion of the Marian Year, the Franciscan province of San Pedro and San Pablo of Michoacán, in his sanctuary offered one of the three "Great official tributes to the Queen of the Friars Minor," consisting of Pontifical Mass celebrated by the Very Reverend Father Provincial Fray Fernando García, exposition of the Blessed, singing the Veni Creator, renewal of the oath of patronage over the province, singing Tota Pulchra, the Te Deum and blessing.
The May 18, 1958 , Bishop Alfonso Toriz Cobian, in the hall of the temple of San Francisco, is solemnly pledged to the Holy See confirmed Principal Patroness of the Diocese and the venerable council asked him to solicit the patronage for the centenary of the diocese to be held on January 26, 1963, but until his resignation on October 25, 1988, did not realize it.
On August 8, 1956 he attended the temple Teresitas, the conclusion of the twenty-five years rector of Canon Don Ezequiel Island, the diocesan seminary.
In 1965, from 7 to 14 January was restored bites moth suffered and was adapted caps to support crowns, metal bases and moon gilded, and a change was made in support of the halos to they do not rest upon the images of the Blessed Virgin and the Divine Child. From 29 March to 3 April he adapted the frame, made by silversmith Don Felipe Vazquez, who protects the image of the Blessed Virgin from the waist down.
In 1971 , to celebrate the twenty-fifth anniversary of his coronation, visited parishes and vicars of the diocese of Querétaro and October 17 this event was solemnly celebrated with a concelebrated Mass in the courtyard of the shrine, chaired by Mr. Bishop Alfonso Toriz Cobian, the sacred chair was occupied by the Reverend Father Fray Leopoldo Arvizu, and other religious, cultural and social events.
On Saturday October 29, 1977 , having passed through the streets of the town, was taken to Cerrito for holding a vigil that lasted all night, on the occasion of the 345 years of his worship have begun.
The October 20, 1979 suffered a fall, in the temple of the Holy Cross of Miracles, which was no damage, thank God no irreparable scope, so Monday 29 to twelve hours the Very Reverend Father Provincial Fray Bernardino Yanez had a meeting with the associations in charge of worship and some other people, which is agreed a committee that addresses the care of the venerable image and propagation of devotion was appointed. On March 1, 1980 was proposed for provincial approval, the commission would consist, according to the proposal made by the directors of corporations Ladies of the Court and Royal Guard. This proposition was submitted within the body of a "Statute establishing the conditions under which the diocese, the province, the sanctuary and corporations always ensure a decent cult Venerable Image of Our Lady of El Pueblito and reasonable conservation same ".
The November 28, 1979 he presided over the Eucharistic celebration on the occasion of the XXV anniversary of the priestly ordination of the local pastor, priest Manuel Ugalde, was held in the parish church.
The October 17, 1982 were held 350 years of devotion to Mary Most Holy in his venerable title of El Pueblito. On the 8th of the same month the solemn novena began. In addition, on 11,13,14 and 15 cultural and academic musical acts were also performed. On Saturday 16, the eve were chaired by the Very Reverend Father Provincial Fray Bernardino Yanez. On day 17, the Eucharistic celebration was presided by the Apostolic Delegate, Monsignor Girolamo Prigione, at seventeen hours in the bullring "Santa Maria". The homily was given by the Archbishop of Morelia, Archbishop Estanislao Alcaraz Figueroa.
The October 17, 1996 took place the solemn celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of the papal coronation of the Venerable image. It ushered in a stylish float, made the visit to the parishes, visit began on August 15 and ended on October 7. From 29 September to 6 October the exhibition "Santa Maria del Pueblito was held at the Museum of the City. History and religion. " The October 8 novena in preparation began, held at the Temple of San Francisco. On the 17th day of the feast, at ten hours and thirty minutes in the temple of San Francisco, un-theological literary-musical tribute was held, and sixteen hours at the stadium "Corregidora" the great Eucharistic celebration presided over by the bishop of the Diocese of Querétaro, Monsignor Mario Gasperín Gasperín, who, accompanied by Provincial Minister, Brother Pedro Esquivel, renewed the act of coronation.
The October 17, 1998 that the fiftieth anniversary of the Virgin of El Pueblito was proclaimed Principal Patroness of the cities of Queretaro, La Cañada, Hercules and El Pueblito was held. From 25 July to 6 October, the Venerable Picture visited parishes and some other temples in the city of Queretaro. On 7 October, a living rosary was held in the bullring "Santa Maria". The next day began the novena of preparation that took place in the temple of San Francisco. On the 11th a historical parade of floats are made and on the 17th at the stadium "Corregidora" at seventeen hours and thirty minutes, the Eucharistic celebration of the ceremony, presided over by the Bishop of Querétaro, Monsignor Mario Gasperín Gasperín.
 
TEMPLE
Built in the eighteenth century, its facade has plain white walls, with a body in front of carved stone, the interior decoration is characterized by elements of neoclassical inspiration.
It was built by the generous support of Peter Urtiaga. 
The temple dates back to 1735 and features a carved stone facade in its ornamentation and, at the top, a statue of the Virgen del Pueblito. Next door is the convent of the Franciscan friars dating from 1775. It is located 8 kilometers from the capital of the state, in the center of the Municipal Head. The architecture is the Mexican Baroque. The inner sanctum has stone floor of St. Andrew. This same material is the most beautiful altar Cathedral, the throne and the floor of the Chapel
For chronic know that in 1714 began construction of the sanctuary, thanks to Captain Pedro Urtiaga paid for the work, in gratitude for a favor achieved through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin of El Pueblito.
The temple was opened without being finished as it still lacked the dressing room, on February 5, 1736, when the image of Our Lady was moved from the second chapel to his new temple. In 1743, the master canterero Ignacio Mariano de las Casas ran the works of the chapel where the sacred image would be placed. By January 1745 the construction of the shrine were completed.
Later the construction of the convent attached to the Shrine began, being authorized in 1765 and inaugurated ten years later, on July 8, 1775. was known that during the War of Reform Baroque altarpiece adorned the altar and many treasures were lost art. Later, when a new altarpiece restored neoclassical style was built.
In 1875 and 1906, restoration and remodeling were made because of the damage it had suffered the sanctuary at the time of the Reformation. In the second paint renewal date, placing windows, change a wooden floor is included. In addition, to expand the sanctuary was torn down the altar, connecting it to the dressing room, where he was a cypress quarry that served enthroned Virgin by the Master canterero Librado Saavedra. On September 7, 1910, His Excellency Bishop of Querétaro, Don Manuel Rivera opened the work. Some time later, in 1943, the wooden floor was replaced by a mosaic.
In 1971 the Sanctuary contacted the guardianal room, lying on side, left, becoming the Chapel of The Passion. In the same year the fences that surrounded the courtyard of the Sanctuary and the floor level was raised were demolished.
To properly commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the Coronation Pontifical, in March 1996, beautification began: removed the tile floor and was placed one of marble, the old altar was replaced by a very beautiful marble inlaid bronze. The presbytery also underwent changes and the side chapels and the sacristy. Also former baptistery that was turned into votive chapel was restored.
By 1997 the cypress underwent changes in its location and design, he was provided with a hydraulic mechanism that automatically places the Blessed Virgin on the throne. The altar which was before the cypress was removed together with the manifesting, and placed in the old sacristy which became the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, opened in 1999.
 
FESTIVALS
Currently the population makes it three celebrations: the oldest and most authentic, culminating on Sunday called carnival, liturgical, that before the fourth Sunday after Easter Saturday and the anniversary of the coronation is performed, usually done two Sundays after 17 October. Today also visit three times Queretaro: first, on his feast in Cathedral held the second Saturday after Easter, June 5 ninth for good temporarily until 1978 this output was July 26, and October 6, for the anniversary of the coronation.
It begins with the Vigil, like every major holiday between the Mesoamerican people, it is the night of purification, where flowers, cloud, fennel, carnations and candles, over the incense burner, utensils are "clean".
One Paranda or hexagonal table, with sugar figures and orchid bulbs, simulating glasses of chocolate and slices fruit, melon, watermelon, sugar cane, which will be delivered to the incoming stewardship is prepared. This is one of the highlights of the celebration.
In February the holidays there is a ceremony called Tratoli, consisting knock three times, by the outgoing to the incoming Butler Butler, it smudges, while the band plays and rockets are launched into the sky.
The ceremony of changing stewardship is called The Remuda, where it is placed on the head of each tenanche a bandana, hat sugar and is given a bowl with figures of sweet, are twelve tenanches they leave office and seniors who receive it.
For the preparation of the party there is a day called "Paseo steer", where two oxen decorated with vegetables, carrot, cabbage, garlic, onions and tortillas colors are paraded through the village and then slaughtered to feed the celebrated.
All these ceremonies narrated briefly, are part of many ceremonies and other hispanicised or attached in recent times, the ancient feasts to celebrate February or White Bread or Mother of the gods in the Pueblito.
These parties are now devoted to the Virgin sculpted by a Franciscan friar and start the healing pyramid Queretaro and taken up as a syncretic indigenous devotion, while the friars propagated in the Spanish city or western devotion of the same image affectionately called, La Virgen Del Pueblito.
They can be seen at parties or Tlachco El Pueblito, a synthesis of cultural events in the region, developed by the local population or natural groups in America.

Shrines

Resources

Additional information