Related Books

Virgen de la Cabeza (Virgin of the Head) de Jaen, Spain

Commemorated on August 11
Virgen de la Cabeza (Virgin of the Head) de Jaen, Spain Oral tradition has it that in coming to Spain Euphrasius, disciple of St. James and First Bishop of Andújar, brought with him an image of the Blessed Virgin which worshiped and devotion. In the seventh century when Andujar was occupied by the Arabs, the villagers hid the sacred image among some rocks in one of the most high and inaccessible mountains of Sierra Morena to prevent desecration.

History

Five centuries later, Andújar reconquered by Ferdinand III, says the popular voice in the night of 11 to August 12, 1227 pastor, Juan Alonso de Rivas, was tending cattle when a neighbor began to see a strange lights on top of an already hear the incessant sound of a bell hill.
Then beat the astonished pastor, between rocks and bushes, to the top of the mountain and in the concavity two rocks, that served as the tabernacle, he found an image of Our Lady.
Andujar is situated on the banks of the Roman "Betis" or "Guad-el-Kebir" Arabic and the foot of the Sierra Morena population of over 38,000 inhabitants, located in the Spanish province of Jaen in Andalusia, Spain.
The Shrine of Our Lady of the Head, patron of the Diocese of Jaén by Bull of Pope John XXIII on 27 November 1959, is a sanctuary situated 32 km from Andújar (Jaén).
 
THE DISCOVERY
A pastor Colomera (Granada), called Juan Alonso Rivas, tending his cattle, goats and sheep on the hills of Sierra Morena near the top of the Summit. It was simple and fervent Christian, maybe something in years and he was afflicted with ankylosis or complete paralysis in his left arm.
Began to draw your attention that could see the lights at night on the mountain near where he had his herd and the ringing of a bell was added. Finally doubt wanted to leave and on the night of 11 to 12 August 1227 resolved to reach the summit.
A natural fear came an expression of wonder and joy, because in the gap formed by two huge granite blocks, found a small image of the Virgin, in whose presence the pastor knelt and prayed aloud in dialogue with Mrs. .
Image Blessed expressed his desire to get up there a temple, sending him to the city to announce the event and show everyone the recovery of movement in his arm and thus give credence to his words. He went down to the city and announced that the event had no choice but to believe the testimony of his arm healed.
Given the amazing event to the City brought the Holy Image, which soon began rendírsele worship in the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore, where it was deposited.
As the intention of the Virgin was that the people would build a chapel on the hill where she appeared on several occasions disappeared from the Church, and was found again in the place I wanted to be home.
Andújar finally understood and accepted the wishes of the Blessed Virgin and began building in Hill Head a temple dedicated to his worship, under the title of "VIRGIN OF THE HEAD."
The temple was finally built between 1287 and 1304 in the Cerro Summit. Heavily renovated in the late sixteenth century.
During the Spanish Civil War was the refuge of national (in the province of Jaén not seconded the uprising), where 200 Civil Guards in the province and their families resisted for over a year siege of Republicans.
The end result of the strength of his sanctuary was reduced to rubble, the loss of his artistic heritage and the original image of the Virgen de la Cabeza. The incident led to the movies in 1949: The Sanctuary does not give up, one of the films that were created to promote the scheme.
 
IMAGE
The iconography presents the current image, to make José Navas Parejo in 1944 after the disappearance of the old, is the Mother and Lady sitting on a small sitial backless, holding the Child Jesus in her left arm and a small reddish fruit offering , played by the people as a strawberry tree given the abundance of this fruit in the highlands.
The image of Mary wears a crimson robe tight girdle or efed small vertical lines, like Hebrew, braised blue robe with gold, in reference to the Incarnation and the Immaculate Conception and white headdress revealing the dark hair falling over her shoulders. El Niño clear tunic dresses as a redeemer of mankind, and carries in his left hand a golden sphere while the right shows us his Mother.
To mark the annual commemoration of the apparition on August 12, the faithful can see the size of the image crowned and covered only by a mantle of queen. Stresses greatly in both figures, and turn the hearts of his devoted brothers, tan color of their skin, which has been given the affectionate name that everyone calls: La Morenita.
 
PROCESSION OF THE PICTURE
The Pilgrimage has been held since the first half of the thirteenth century, the last Sunday of April, and is before all those held in España.La Pilgrimage of the Virgin de la Cabeza, develops in the Sierra Morena Andalusia border and Castilla-La Mancha, which is an impressive demonstration of Marian fervor, adorned with colorful banners and flags of each of the guilds that come from all over Spain.
The reception at Andújar subsidiaries Guilds in Friday afternoon before the last Sunday in April to the pilgrimage starts. The Royal Brotherhood Matrix Andújar in corporation with the mayor and the city hosts Columbus in the gardens of all those who have the next day to climb to the Sanctuary, to give you the warmest welcome. Thus began the parade through the main streets of the city to save the City where they will sing.
On Saturday morning, the parade Matrix Guild takes place on the streets of the city, whose courtship increases with a greater number of riders, riders and couples to the rump, without forgetting the caparisoned mules and jamugas. The festive atmosphere of the output remains along the path leading to the hermitage of San Ginés, first stop of the day, to continue to the prairie "New Location" next to Jándula River where you will have lunch and then continue the way to the Shrine.
Upon arriving at the Shrine Guilds succeed in his presentation to the image. Overnight in the dressing room a close intimacy with the Blessed Virgin whispers. The temple is massive participation at Masses and rosaries held. Spiritual assistance to the pilgrims, the Commonwealth of Trinitarian Fathers is reinforced with the help of many other religious come home, especially to administer the sacrament of confession.
Sunday is the big day, the culmination of the festival, the apotheosis of Mary on top of the mountain, An altar is washed in the Shrine, so most pilgrims and pilgrims to attend and participate in the Eucharist . The ringing of temple bells announce, around noon, and highlight the most solemn moment of the pilgrimage, the procession of the Blessed Virgin of the Head.
Along the road they have preformed all guilds, many devotees crowd to hang out with the image that will run along the roads of the hill. Two religious on both sides of the Virgin near the mantle of the Queen, children, clothes and objects that give them the pilgrims to be bendecidos.Cuando the image returns to his dressing room after four hours of travel, a new year begins pilgrims returning to their places of origin, some other that day and the next day, taking with rosemary and state to distribute to friends and family.
 
HISTORY OF THE SHRINE
The Sanctuary has gone through various vicissitudes, from its origin. By all indications, construction began in 1287 and ended in 1304 being first a small chapel that edify the people of Andújar in the heart of Sierra Morena. But additions and alterations have been almost constant through time reaching its peak in the sixteenth century, years 1530 and 1590, when it became a sanctuary, much like we know today.
In the twentieth century, during the civil war, the Sanctuary of the Virgen de la Cabeza was the scene of a feat of arms which has been linked to its history.
In 1936, a group of civilians and civilians led by Captain D. Santiago Cortés González guards took refuge in the sanctuary for almost eight months resisting the attack of the Republican troops.
The result was over a hundred deaths, the destruction of the Temple and the loss of the image of the Blessed Virgin of the Head.
Subsequently DG Devastated Regions proceeds to rebuild the shrine. To this end, in April 1940 is an Executive Committee chaired by the Director General, José Moreno Torres, being elected in 1941 as an architect Francisco Prieto Moreno, curator of the Alhambra in Granada. The works were completed in 1943, the cost being borne by public subscriptions nationwide.
The nave is separated from the chancel by a fence of the sixteenth century, restored by the School of Arts and Crafts in Granada, which closes an opening with arch. The altar in the center has a large space, after which the chapel of the Virgin is located, such as José Navas Parejo, which replaced the old disappeared during the civil war.
The side chapels of the nave is occupied by different altars, containing various images, such as a crucified sculptor Mariano Benlliure, the Virgen del Pilar, Blessed Mark Criado, San Juan Bautista de la Concepción, the Holy Trinity and the Virgin of Carmen . In the choir there is a magnificent organ, compliments of the Civil Guard, inaugurated by the famous master Guridi organist. After the Chapel is the sacristy.
The Trinitarian Community has addressed two new extensions. The first was the rise of the plant ledge, building another wing in the rear of the north wing. That completed, a harmonious and practical manner, the entire structure of the cloister courtyard. The second phase was conducted in 1965 throughout the north wing, adding a building of three floors to expand dependencies Trinitarian priests who serve the cult permanently since 1930.
They recently created a museum that preserves Marian lot of goods and works of art that show the importance that through the centuries has been, and Nuestra Señora de la Cabeza.
Until 1930, the Bishop D. Manuel Basulto Jimenez gave sanctuary to the Trinitarian Order, it had been staffed by diocesan priests.
On April 1, 1930, was given possession to the Trinity, being the 12th day when it became effectively a feast, attended by the Bishop, the Hon. City Hall, the Royal Brotherhood Matrix, the examining magistrate, the Archpriest and many priests, Father Provincial of the Trinity, along with a multitude of faithful.
Since then come rightly govern the first shrine, and then his parish. Only had to leave this holy place between 1936 and 1937, during the Spanish Civil War three of them being victims of fratricidal conflict that destroyed the temple and lost the image of the Blessed Virgin of the Head.
 
 

Source: http://forosdelavirgen.org/198/virgen-de-la-cabeza-de-jaen-espana-11-de-agosto/

Prayers

PRAYER TO OUR LADY OF THE HEAD
Blessed Virgin of the Head: 
A Ti come with love and trust, 
eager to bring what we have, 
and how we need to ask. 
teach us to live in peace guided by your love. 
Bless our families, our nation, 
all men. 
Receive our work, 
our sufferings our desires and dreams. 
Introduce us to your Son. 
guide us always on the path of truth, 
justice and love. 
And so, Mother, you will be happy in Heaven. 
Amen.

Shrines

Resources

Additional information