Related Books

Madonna della Fonte Nuova, Monsummano Terme, Pistoia, Tuscany, Italy

Commemorated on June 9
Madonna della Fonte Nuova, Monsummano Terme, Pistoia, Tuscany, Italy
In the area where now stands the church, in 500 there were only swamps, forests and meadows, an area used only by shepherds slopes of Monsummano Alto for their flocks, with streets that wind their way through marshes and grassy fields that do not appear promote the formation of nuclei of dwellings. But what nature seems to deny flows from a sudden and unexpected intervention of Our Lady. On June 9, 1573, in fact, Jacopina Mariotti, a shepherdess sweet and mild, as well as pious, simple and modest, pray in front of one of the many pictures painted in fresco on the wall, that dot the streets of the plan. After the prayer, you realize you have lost the flock. Her crying apparently had moved the Virgin Mary who, according to a documented tradition, appearing to, the shows where to find him. In addition, the order to go to the rector of the church of the Castle to suggest, in his name, to build a church in the place of its manifestation. After this begins the first movement of popular devotion to Our Lady of the Plan, which will gradually growing more and more. At a distance of just two months after the first event, local authorities, interpreting the will of the people, decided to build a Tabernacle to Our Lady of the Plan and allocate for this purpose the many offers of pilgrims from all over the Valdinievole spill on the site of . Another appearance, this time more crucial and decisive for the erection of the Shrine and the Marian movement resulting therefrom, occurred June 10, 1602 and is witnessed by the Rector of Monsummano Alto Simone Casciani. Also on July 7 of the same year, during the celebration of the Mass flows sudden, after a long drought, a source nova event attributed by the people to the intercession of Our Lady of the Plan long as all invoked. From that day the Madonna del Piano will be called: Our Lady of Fontenova. The explosion of devotion to Mary, already significant after the events of 9 June 1573, it becomes uncontrollable after the events of July 7, 1602, requiring the intervention of the Grand Duke of Tuscany, Ferdinando I de 'Medici. Intervention for the same is ordered that appaltino work del'erigendo Marian Shrine, whose first stone was laid 30 December 1602. On 13 February 1607 the Grand Duke of Tuscany approves the project for the construction of the Osteria of pilgrims at the service of the sanctuary. The June 8, 1608 Cosimo de 'Medici in fulfillment of a vow made by his father Ferdinand gives the sanctuary a crown precious, finely crafted and carved, by the "jeweler Gallery" Cosimo Latinos experts is considered the best and most meaningful example of the art of the period chisel Tuscan Grand Duchy. This crown will be placed on the head of the Virgin Mary by the Vatican Chapter in 1782.
 
Source: latheotokos.it

Shrines

Resources

Additional information