Related Books

Madonna delle Grazie di Valsorda / Our Lady of Grace of Valsorda (Garessio Valsorda, Italy)

Commemorated on July 13
Madonna delle Grazie di Valsorda / Our Lady of Grace of Valsorda (Garessio Valsorda, Italy)
Three special graces to accompany the growth of devotion to Our Lady of Grace, better known as "Our Lady of Valsorda", named after the village where the shrine is located. 


Three special graces to accompany the growth of devotion to Our Lady of Grace, better known as "Our Lady of Valsorda", named after the village where the shrine is located. 
Sunday, July 13, 1653, Mary, a young deaf and mute, with no parents, found 18 years before exposed in front of the Chapel of the Madonna and adopted by the community of Valsorda, lays the usual wild flowers over the fence and stops by a newsstand short prayer, staring at the beautiful picture. This moves from the bottom to her, caresses, and she, for the first time he hears a voice warm and good, "Go 'from your sponsor and bring me the most beautiful dress that holds in the chest."
The voice of the miracle is spreading fast, people run to venerate the Virgin Mary in the small chapel on the top of the hill. The Rector, Fr Melino, noted on the register kept still in the database: «1653 there July 13, to Sunday, Our Lady of the Most Holy Gracie in Valsorda has freed a woman mutta whence he had great devotion to the principle" .2
Nine years later, soon, on Whit Monday of 1662, the image of Our Lady was solemnly crowned. The same Don Melino records the event on the first page of the Book of Accounts, highlighting its connection with the miraculous healing of the deaf-mute girl, and because the main motive of the Coronation.
On April 3, 1858, another miraculous happens: the healing of the paralytic Magdalene Ghirardi, that after a long time of immobility, unable to move with the sun crutches in the Sanctuary where you feel healed, and then it can be sent back home.
Other grace of the Virgin Mary is considered the liberation of the country from the plague and cholera in 1630 and in 1835. 
Gratitude to Our Lady of Valsorda for the many graces received over the years, has been expressed through the construction of the new solemn shrine consecrated May 20, 1915, the eve of the First World War, and completed with the construction of the great octagonal dome, first of its kind in Italy, in reinforced concrete, in 1925, and with the devout Coronations.
The sacred image was crowned four times; in 1662, and the centenary celebrations of 1762, 1862. Fourth Coronation took place on August 16, 1962 at the hands of Cardinal Giuseppe Siri, Archbishop of Genoa, who exhorted the faithful: "Give the crown to the Virgin Mary means to recognize Queen and Lady Help of our lives ... Give me your hands then, because my hands are not alone in taking this action. "

The oldest document concerning the first chapel in honor of Our Lady of Grace in Garessio Valsorda, is a testament by which a certain Christopher Rubba, dated January 15, 1603, has "a legacy of 10 ducats" because the Chapel of the Blessed Virgin is developed in the upper part, "and ducatoni 10 to fabricate the Chapel on top of said existing villa because ingrandiscano above and not otherwise ... '. 
Originally the chapel was a small oratory similar to a tower, open at the front, built in rough stone and clay. On the back wall was painted in fresco the image of the Madonna seated between San St. Mark the Evangelist, and a Dominican.
Image and style of its portrayal of an old Ex-votos of silver, seem to be able to trace the origins of the painting at the beginning of 1400. Tradition also attributes the construction of the chapel, on top of the Borgata, the liberation from the plague eastern, in those years, was raging in the area. In 1914 the beautiful image of Our Lady will be moved to the new sanctuary. 
1 The shrines of Italy illustrated, (January 1931). 
2 John the Baptist Randone, Second and Third Centenary of the Coronation of the Sacred Image of MV Valsorda, Turin, Tip. Speirani and Sons, 1864. Sanctuary of Garessio Valsorda (1st semester 1971).


The Virgin is represented sitting on a chest, in the attitude of the family "hostess." Affectionate and sweet, gently holding the baby blessing, and with the head tilted slightly towards him, looking away, with an ­ spres ­ sweetest sion of maternal sweetness. The visitor stops ecstatic, enraptured by her beauty, is moved and is instinctively led to pray.
Until 1914, the date of transfer into the new sanctuary, it was considered that the image was painted on a pylon isolated, similar to the many that are encountered in our campaigns. During the works to transport, however, was able to discover that instead it was painted on a plaster which in turn covered a fresco of the Madonna herself, the central part of a triptych. The side figures of St. Mark's, and maybe St. Gertrude, had been covered with lime and covered with marble altar below.
Only in 1930 was found a document from 1792 that explains the findings. It says, "To promote the Sanctuary of Maria SS. under the title of Grace in Valsorda that greater dignity, that it was possible, and in view of many other important consequences, it is determined by this audience gathered in the sacristy of that church to arrive at the demolition of the high altar of the said church and build marble ... In order to pass, therefore, for an everlasting memory, the state in which it was the sanctuary where the altar is made of marble, it was determined to record it here carefully ... It was also discovered the image of Virgin Mary being the first Gothic, in the present model in which it is located ... "1




Additional information