Related Books

Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours, Montréal, Québec, Canada

Commemorated on June 30
Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours, Montréal, Québec, Canada
In 1672, Marguerite Bourgeoys, missionary to Canada and founder of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame, made a trip back to France, where her friend Baron de Fouencamp gave her one of the statuettes carved from the sacred oak of Montaigu in Belgium (Nov. 2; for story see Notre-Dame de Gray, a similar image). St. Marguerite brought the precious image back to Montréal and placed it in a reliquary in the stone chapel of Notre-Dame de Bon Secours, Our Lady of Good Help, dedicated June 30, 1675 as a pilgrimage sanctuary outside the original settlement. The statuette was saved from the burning building in 1754 and placed on a side altar of the present chapel erected in 1771. Known as the "Sailors' Church," its ceiling is hung with model ships given by mariners in thanks for Our Lady's help. In 2005, the remains of Marguerite Bourgeoys were interred below the statue. (Information from the Chapel's site, www.marguerite-bourgeoys.com and the picture source, "Troyes, Centre Culturel Marguerite Bourgeoys 1675," Diocèse de Troyes, catholique-troyes.cef.fr.)  

Shrines

Resources

Additional information