Related Books

Our Lady of Grace, Scheut, Belgium

Commemorated on September 12
Our Lady of Grace, Scheut, Belgium
In 1443 a neighbor planted some trees on a hill in Scheut.
One of these trees was placed a wooden statue of the Virgin and Child, and the night before Pentecost in 1449, emerged from her strange glares. Thus arose an intense popular devotion which solidified after the miracles occurred.
 
A gothic church dedicated to Our Lady of Grace, which was consecrated in 1531 was constructed. Damaged and rebuilt during the Reformation, and later sold.
 
The statue survived and is now in the chapel of Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, in the Collegiate Pierre and Guidon in Anderlecht.
It is famous medieval street procession of San Guidon and Our Lady of Grace staged the closest Saturday to the holiday, September 12, is one of the most important festivals of this devotion.

History

THE MIRACLE AND DEVOTION
The source was an insignificant gesture in itself, but had a truly miraculous impact. A beautiful day (as in all the legendary stories), Pierre d'Asse and Pierre Van Assche Moortebeek inhabitants, in 1443 planted a linden and two thorns on top of Hooghecauter in Scheut , (now a district of Anderlecht) to along the road to Brussels.
In 1446 this place stood a statue of the Virgin.
In 1449, the night Pentecost Oh surprise!, Mary was wrapped in a miraculous clarity. More than 10,000 pilgrims came to honor Mary only in the first day. Virgin announced its desire to be honored in Scheut as the "Mother of Grace."
[...] To contemplate this glow, or rather at the behest of the Holy Spirit [...] Brussels residents lit the fire of devotion on the day of Pentecost, a great multitude of men and women visited the statue the Virgin Mary with a huge devotion.
[...] In the three days following crowds visited the site of Brabant, so did people from other provinces and neighboring countries, so many men and women of these places made a pilgrimage to the image. And those who had visited the website say that after invoking the name of God and prayer to the Virgin had found relief and comfort regarding their illness and pain, as well as worldly dangers and adversities.
This description of spontaneous pilgrimage to the statue stands at the entry Dullaert Adriaen's Origo sive exordium monasterii nostrae Dominae gratia, Ordinis Carthusiensium juxta Bruxellam in Schute. As the title suggests, this text, written after May 28, 1471, is an account of the origin of the monastery founded in 1456 and named Scheut in Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, in honor of the statue.
Dullaert was an eyewitness to many of the events referred to and played a key role in the negotiations that led to the founding of the monastery. Therefore, it is a very knowledgeable man, but partial narrator. Your Origo is the most important source of the pilgrimage to Scheut.
In 1480, Marcel Voet, the second prior Scheut, also wrote a text on the early history of the monastery. His Liber Fundationis draws heavily on Origo Dullaert, but also makes use of documents held in the monastery.
These rarely mentioned the pilgrims, however, the monastery owed its existence to the pilgrimage to Scheut, but the Carthusians, with its emphasis on solitude, avoided contact with the laity. In fact, the daily influx of pilgrims of both sexes and the noise they made was considered a nuisance, and in 1477 the Prior of the Cartuja decreed that a wall should be built to segregate the monks of the pilgrims, so that not saw hampered the performance of their liturgical functions .
Scheut became a pilgrimage site, with a huge influx of visitors. Were built near the lindens shelters to house them. Offerings reached a high figure that the magistrate in Brussels provides bishopric of Cambrai build a chapel. At that time, the churches depended on Cambrai.
 
CHURCH
Donations made by the pilgrims were used to purchase the necessary land, and construction began in the winter of 1449. Voet reports that Charles the Bold, son and heir of Philip the Good, laid the foundation stone bearing his coat of arms on February 21, 1449.
On the same day, with the permission of the bishop of Cambrai, a mass in Scheut first Bishop also granted to members of the Court permission to celebrate Mass in the pilgrimage three times a week using an altar held laptop until the chapel was completed and dedicated.
The April 16, 1450 the Archbishop of Reims Scheut visited in person, heard mass, and granted 40 days indulgence to those who visit the chapel at certain fixed dates and made a contribution to its construction and maintenance. On Ascension 1450, work on the roof was up and in the course of the year the chapel was largely completed.
In 1453, given the growing popularity of the miraculous Virgin, the planned construction of a monastery near Chapel was conceived. He was named to the monks of the Order of St. Bruno, who established a monastery (the name refers to a Carthusian monastery). The Dukes of Burgundy and the Dauphin of France, the future Louis XI, gratified with numerous donations to the monastery.
In 1456, the chapel 50 x 30 feet was surrounded by a wall 7 feet high.
In 1469 the Duke of Cleves put the 1st stone of a church. Around the church are grouped: the cells of the cloister, religious, library, bar, barns, stables and farms, calling it "Scheuthof".
These constructs were made possible by donations of Philip the Good, Charles the Bold and Baron Lord of Ravenstein. This area is a stronghold of the court of Brabant. Ravenstein The farm is located at the southern end of the site Scheutbos.
Today, at the corner of Tarantella and Ninove, there is a restaurant-hotel, which is still called "Ravensteinhof.
In 1531, the beautiful church of Scheut, in Gothic style, was consecrated.
Dullaert informs us that the chapel was decorated with stained glass windows depicting various saints and donors and their weapons.
The most important stained glass, immediately behind the altar dedicated to the Virgin, was donated by Charles the Bold, which went devotee Notre-Dame-de-Grâce, with special reverence throughout his life. The windows flanking it were given by important representatives of Duke, one south by Juan de Enghien, and the other to the north by Monfrandus Alaert, Attorney General of Flanders. Adjacent were donated by the nobles of the court of the Duke and after construction by the citizens of Brussels, including Adriaen Dullaert. The position of the windows reflects the social status of the donors.
To the south is bordered by the Charterhouse Road Dilbeek (the existing plant Ninove). To the north, beyond the cloister and a large garden, grassland, bordered to the north-west by a small forest and beautiful landscapes range. The hills to the northeast of the monastery were rich in sources from 1460 began to dig ponds. The water pipe was channeled to the monastery and preserved in masonry wells.
The Carthusians were 4 pools two of which were called "Black Pond", the cane of Scheutbos probably has the remains of two other ponds.
It is said that one night, Brother Herman Coolsmet in deep meditation, he was worried about the croaking of frogs. I ordered it shut up or leave and like the Carthusians Carthusians Scheut left, there are more frogs.
In the sixteenth century there was a leper hospital built outside the village of Molenbeek, dominating the road going to Molenbeek Scheut.
In the month of November 1576 the Spanish troops were placed in La Cartuja.
In 1579 the Calvinists, in revenge for religious persecution, led furniture, precious materials and what they found in trucks escorted by a trumpet. They burned everything they could carry. The Carthusian Monastery was destroyed.
In 1585 when the spirit was appeased, the Carthusian monastery founded a new street in the current Factories.
La Cartuja Scheut restored chapel with the oratorio. Through this work, the chapel was a place of pilgrimage as well visited.
The Royal Museums of Art and History serien ex have a helpful and apparel seventeenth century who were to implore the Mother Grace.
In 1783 Joseph II abolished the religious order of the Carthusians.
Near 1795, under the French Republic, the chapel was sold as national property while "Scheuthof".
After all these vicissitudes, the most surprising is that the small statue of Our Lady of Grace in Scheut has miraculously escaped destruction and come down to us intact.
It is located in the Chapel of Our Lady of Grace Collegiate exposed to the veneration of the faithful.
Every year, the closest to 12 September Saturday, the pilgrimage of Saint Guidon and Our Lady of Grace is performed, in which images are procesionadas the streets with people dressed in costumes to medieval custom.

Shrines

Resources

Additional information