Related Books

Our Lady of Walsingham, Walsingham, England

Commemorated on September 24
Our Lady of Walsingham, Walsingham, England
In 1061, Our Lady appeared to Richeldis de Faverches, a Catholic English noblewoman in the village of Walsingham in Norfolk, England.
 
Our Lady of Walsingham presented her with the plans of the Holy House of the Holy Family in Nazareth and asked that she build the house as a shrine and place of pilgrimage.

History

Timeline
 
1061
 
The chapel was founded by Richeldis, the mother of Geoffrey of Favraches as confirmed by the earliest deeds.
 
 
According to the text of the Pynson Ballad (c 1485), Richeldis de Faverches prayed that she might perform special deed as a gift to honor Our Lady. The Virgin Mary answered her prayer and led her in spirit to Nazareth, showing her the location where the Annunciation had occurred. Our Lady requested that a a replica house be built in Walsingham to serve as a memory of the Annunciation for all time. 
 
1150
 
This Holy House was built and a religious community took charge of the foundation. With papal approval, the Augustinian Canons built a Priory (c 1150). .
 
1169
 
Geoffrey son of Richeldis gifted 'to God and St. Mary and to Edwy his clerk the chapel of our Lady' with the intention that Edwy should found a priory. These gifts were, shortly afterwards, confirmed to the Austin Canons of Walsingham by Robert de Brucurt and Roger, earl of Clare.
1500
 
Our Lady of Walsingham had not only become one of the great pilgrimage sites of England along with Canterbury and Glastonbury, and but also in all of Europe as it became third most popular site behind Rome and Compostella, Spain.
 
1538
 
The suppression of the devotion to Our Lady of Walsingham began as evidenced by the writing of Protestant bishop Latimer wrote of the image of Mary saying that "She hath been the Devil's instrument, I fear, to bring many to eternal fire; now she herself with her older sister of Walsingham, her younger sister of Ipswich, and their two sisters of Doncaster and Penrhys will make a jolly muster in Smithfield. They would not be all day in burning". 
 
The Reformation caused the Priory property to be handed over to the King’s Commissioners and the statue of Our Lady of Walsingham was taken to London and burnt. The original shrine has no remnants, but its site features the marker noting “The Abbey Grounds” in the village.
 
 
 
King Henry VIII approved the burning of the image of Our Lady of Walsingham: "It was the month of July, the images of Our Lady of Walsingham and Ipswich were brought up to London with all the jewels that hung around them, at the King's commandment, and divers other images, both in England and Wales, that were used for common pilgrimage...and they were burnt at Chelsea by my Lord Privy Seal".
 
1829
 
After the destruction of the Shrine, Walsingham no longer was a place of public pilgrimage. All devotion was done in secret until after the Catholic Emancipation when public expressions of faith were once again allowed.
 
1896
 
Charlotte Pearson Boyd purchased the 14th century Slipper Chapel, the last of the wayside chapels en-route to Walsingham, and restored it for Catholic use.
 
1897
 
Pope Leo XIII by rescript re-established the Slipper Chapel as a Roman Catholic shrine, now known as the National Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. The Holy House had been rebuilt at the Church of the Annunciation at King's Lynn.
 
Aug 20, 1897
 
The Guild of Our Lady of Ransom, brought the first public pilgrimage to Walsingham. Visitors to the Slipper Chapel increased in number, and after some time, the devotion and the number of pilgrimages increased.
 
Aug 19, 1934
 
Cardinal Bourne and Bishop Lawrence Youens led the Bishops of England and Wales, together with 10,000 pilgrims to the Slipper Chapel. At this pilgrimage, the Slipper Chapel was declared to be the National Shrine of Our Lady for Roman Catholics in England.
 
May 17, 1945
 
American Forces organixeed the first Mass in the Priory grounds since the Reformation. During the war, Walsingham was a restricted zone and closed to visitors, but many service men and women showed interest in the Shrine.
 
1948
 
The First Cross Carrying Pilgrimage for Peace, Penance and Prayer in began a tradition that continue today. Pilgrims still walk to the Shrine during Holy Week
 
1968
 
The Marist Fathers took over the care of the shrine and, together with the Marist Sisters, are organize the the ministry to the pilgrims.
 
1982
 
During Pope John Paul II's visit, the Slipper Chapel Statue was taken to Wembley Stadium and was carried around the stadium prior to the Papal Mass preceeded by The Director of the Roman Catholic Shrine and the Administrator of the Anglican Shrine. The Popeasked that the statue be placed on the altar for the Mass.
 
2000
 
John Paul II decreed that the feast of Our Lady of Walsingham, patroness of England, and in modern times patroness of all English-speaking peoples, would be celebrated on September 24th in England. It is a solemnity for all parishes in any part of the world named for Our Lady under this title.
 
Our Lady of Walsingham was formerly celebrated on March 25th, "Lady Day" (Feast of the Annunciation), but for ecumenical reasons was moved to September 24th. (September 24 in England had been the feast of Our Lady of Ransom.)
 
2001
 
The feast of Our Lady of Walsingham was celebrated for the first time on the new date in 2001.

------

A fifteenth-century manuscript records the text of the "Ballad of Walsingham" and explains how in 1061 it fell to Mary Richeldis, a noble widow who wished to venerate. 
La Virgen led three times "in spirit" to Nazareth to show the site where the Archangel Gabriel had greeted her, then made her take the steps of the house so she could play them in Walsingham, and the people there celebrate the Annunciation, the beginning of the Redemption of mankind. 
According to legend, she undertook the construction of the chapel but the dimensions of the house did not seem clear, neither she nor the builders. Richeldis then spent the night in prayer and sought the Virgin angels finished construction on the desired site, approximately 200 feet from where the workers had begun ... 
 
... SEE VIDEOS ...
What gave rise to the title and worship Our Lady of Walsingham was a vision of Richeleds Lady Faverches tube.
Mary's presence in England began with three visions received by Lady Richeleds of Faverches, a widow who lived in a mansion in Walsingham. In these visions, Mary was showing Farverches Lady of the house in Nazareth where the angel Gabriel told Mary that she would give birth to the Son of the Most Great. Blessed Mother you please The Lady of Faverches to build a replica of his home in Nazareth dedicated to the memory of the Annunciation of Mary and the Incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Mary promised: 
"Let all who are distressed or in need seek me in that little house that you will keep me in Walsingham. For those who seek to get there I need. "
After three times of Richeleds apparition began to fulfill the desire of Our Lady, these developments occurred in 1061. Richeleds son before his pilgrimage to the Holy Land, allowed as a substitute Edvoy Chaplain, giving responsibility to erect a convent in trust lands and the "Santa Casa" the protection of a Religious Order. From 1146-1174 took care of the Augustinian convent canons, which continued to be the guardians of the "Holy House" to the destruction of the convent and the prohibition of pilgrimages in England.
Tradition says that when Richeleds about building construction of the "Holy House" saw two flat pieces of land that mysteriously had not been reached by the dew and those 2 pieces of ground having dimensions that corresponded exactly to the foundations of Nazareth House, which corresponded exactly with the unique foundation that slowed the work. All failed and no one believed that the chapel could be finished someday.
Richeleds addressed to the Mother of God, asking protection for their work, and left the next morning your order was fulfilled. She found sanctuary nicely built 200 feet away from where they had begun to build.
Throughout the years, were attributed several miracles of Our Lady of Walsingham, including that saved the king Edouard I of the fall of a wall. In the fourteenth century, the miraculous House Norfolk but was supplanted by the holy House of Loreto in Italy near Ancona, but Walsingham remains one of the most important places of worship in England, called "Our Lady's Dowry," Heritage of Our Lady.
 
IMAGE
The statue remains entirely within the tradition of the great theological images of the mother of our Lord. She is enthroned and crowned, dirijiendo our attention to the Holy Child sitting on his knees. His right hand holds a scepter of lilies, the emblem of purity. The right foot rests but at the same time petting a frog.
The throne is decorated with two pillars, each with bands, three on one side and four on the other, representing the seven sacraments, and the carapace is round, like a rainbow. His divine son, with a cruciform halo, is in his left hand the book of the gospels, meaning that the word was incarnate and dwelt among us. His right hand is stretched out in the form of protection and blessing.
 
SANCTUARY
The Catholic shrine (there is another Anglican) is 1.3 miles south of Walsingham, in a hamlet called Houghton St. Giles. Walsingham is 5 miles from Fakenham .
The Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham was founded in 1061 and destroyed during the Reformation.
The National Shrine of Our Lady is for the English Walsingham, central point of veneration of Mary in the island's history is closely linked to the Church in England.
Walsingham's fame as a place of extraordinary graces spread quickly and pilgrims began to flock from everywhere. Throughout the pilgrimage routes were built chapels. There are still two chapels, one is in King's Lynn which is called Chapel of Our Lady Red Hill and the other is indicated in Honghton in the Dale , is dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria, and is known as "Capilla de los Descalzos" because the pilgrims were removed her shoes and continued barefoot.
A Walsingham came the nobles and beggars, saints and sinners. Almost all the kings of England visited the chapel at least once during his reign. So famous was Walsingham in medieval times is commonly stated that the Milky Way pointed to her! It was the most frequented shrine in all of England, nor even rivaled by that of St. Thomas of Canterbury, which attracted pilgrims from all over Europe.
Miracles and extraordinary stories were associated with Walsingham, which caused the people to believe that this was a site chosen by the Virgin Mary as the same corner of England where she wanted the mystery of the Incarnation be honored in a special way.
However, at the beginning of the decade of the 1530s, due to the descent of the Reformation in England, the sanctuary was abolished. Henry ordered the destruction of all Catholic sites oratorios and activity. In 1538 the sanctuary was destroyed by the "Reformation." The statue of the Virgin was taken to London with other images to be burned.
For about 300 years Walsingham was a quiet village , most people did not travel to the holy house of prayer. Along with all the other monastic foundations, there was little hope for the site that had once been a place of prayer and contemplation. From the time of the vandalism perpetrated by King Henry VIII to the early twentieth century Walsingham remained simply an enchanting haven.
 
DEVOTION RENACE
In the nineteenth century, devotion to Our Lady of Walsingham reborn
In the nineteenth century a rich English lady, Charlotte Boyd, began the restoration of the sanctuary in the same way as before, in the sixteenth century another rich lady had.
For pilgrims traveling from London to Walsingham the last station is a chapel located approximately one mile and known as the Slipper Chapel (Chapel of the slipper) because pilgrims took off his shoes before walking the last mile, and came to the sanctuary barefoot.
The small building served as the fourteenth century barn animals before Charlotte Boyd had not had the idea of restoring it. Before your plan will concretize, she converted to Catholicism and by 1890 the chapel and the purchase gives to Downside Abbey.
The Guild of Our Lady of Ransom took over the restoration of a carved statue of the Virgin and Child was placed in its place of honor. This is now in King's Lynn.
More than a century (August 20, 1897) is a procession of pilgrims, ranging from King's Lynn to the "chapel of slipper" marks the return of public devotion in Our Lady of Walsingham.
However, for more than a generation the Catholic Church shows little enthusiasm for the sanctuary. Is given as a reason that during the nineteenth century many Catholics of England and Ireland did not support the attempts of Cardinal Manning and others to promote public devotions, processions, etc.. The faithful were accustomed to be more reserved in the manifestation of prayer and considered such practices as foreign imports.
The place was desolate until it was restored in 1934 one of the chapels in the way of the pilgrims, the "Slipper Chapel" (XIV century), which had been used as a stable. Also in 1934, the Catholic bishops declared British National Shrine chapel and pilgrimages were renewed.
So in 1921 a new priest assigned to the parish of Walsingham. His name was Father Alfred Hope Patten. He began researching the medieval history of his parish. With the help of his people, set their efforts in the restoration of the chapel. was commanded to carve a statue, a replica of which had been burned in the time of Henry VIII. In 1922 it was placed in the parish church, and devotion to Our Lady of Walsingham was restored. During the early years very few people came to join the villagers in their prayers and praises, but Walsingham seems to touch an emotional note in the religious sense of the people, and soon the stream became a river and then a flood!
In the 30 new buildings were erected for the sanctuary, containing sixteen altars in several chapels, as well as a replica of the Holy House based on the plans and dimensions for orders Richeldis built in 1061.
The August 15, 1954, the Papal Delegate, Archbishop O'Hara crowned the new statue of Our Lady of Walsingham.
A 2003 survey showed that the Walsingham shrine is the most visited in England. Much asking of forgiveness and the sacrament of anointing of the sick.
The Confraternity of Our Lady of Ransom, on the same day, is associated with this sanctuary.
 
MARIAN SHRINE WITH AN ECUMENICAL VOCATION 
The amplitude of the Anglican project raises an awakening of Catholic and these multiply their efforts to encourage devotion to Our Lady. Currently the Catholic shrine has developed a lot, especially after the construction of the Chapel of Reconciliation.
Today the two shrines with their hotels are very popular and much frequented.
Before, Anglicans and Catholics not publicly acknowledged their respective existence in Walsingham. Signals indicating the old town "Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham., In one direction and" Sanctuary of Redemption "in another.
Then things changed and some fifteen years ago, when Pope John Paul II visited England, he celebrated Mass at a church in Wembley where a picture of the Virgin on the altar Walsingham.
The picture was put together by the Catholic shrine and manage the administration of the Anglican shrine.
After that, Catholics and Anglicans recognize each other in their publications and on their activities.
Ecumenical relations, due to some reasons of jealousy, were somewhat tense for a moment, but now a lull live. The current Anglican manager, Martin Warner, considers the current state of things as "sinking roots during the winter." Is optimistic and believes that a cordial understanding between the Catholic and Protestant churches will. 
few English Catholics establish that difficulty in regard to the Marian doctrine and devotion.
Today, the Catholic Church has a generation of priests and teachers have received little training and practice Mariology only token devotion to Our Lady, however, it is expected that teachers and priests going to Walsingham or other Marian sites can talk to fervor to the faithful whose heart overflows with faith and love for the Mother of God.
Several celebrations took place at the shrine of Walsingham. A new stained glass window on the Annunciation, conducted by Alfred Fisher, has still added in the "Slipper Chapel". Another was offered by the Brotherhood of Our Lady of Redemption.
 
STELLA MARIS
Our Lady of Walsingham is known under the name of "Virgen del Mar". A medieval legend tells that her succor the endangered marine. The hospitality of Anglican pilgrims named "Stella Maris" Star of the Sea. It is one of the oldest invocations of the Virgin.
Walsingham is a few miles from the coast of Norkfolk, is a place of prayer and healing, represents salvation from storms and shipwrecks, and offers the calm waters of a tranquil harbor against all the evidence. 

Description

The famous statue of Our Lady of Walsingham depicts Mary as seated, as a dignified queen wearing a simple Saxon-style crown and carrying the Christ-child seated upright on her lap.

Approval

With papal approval, the Augustinian Canons built a Priory (c 1150).
 
During Pope John Paul II's visit in 1982, the Slipper Chapel Statue was taken to Wembley Stadium and was carried around the stadium prior to the Papal Mass preceeded by The Director of the Roman Catholic Shrine and the Administrator of the Anglican Shrine. The Pope asked that the statue be placed on the altar for the Mass.
 
In 2000, John Paul II decreed that the feast of Our Lady of Walsingham would be celebrated on September 24th in England.
 
 
Feast Day
 
In the year 2000, The Holy Father John Paul II decreed that the feast of Our Lady of Walsingham, medieval patroness of England, and in modern times patroness of all English-speaking peoples, is now celebrated on September 24th in England. It is a solemnity for all parishes in any part of the world named for Our Lady under this title.
 
Our Lady of Walsingham was formerly celebrated on March 25th, "Lady Day" (Feast of the Annunciation), but for ecumenical reasons was moved to September 24th. (September 24 in England had been the feast of Our Lady of Ransom.)
 
The feast of Our Lady of Walsingham was celebrated for the first time on the new date in 2001. 

Prayers

Our Lady of Walsingham, pray the Lord for us.
 
Mary conceived without sin, pray the Lord for us.
Mary the Virgin, pray the Lord for us.
Mary, the Mother of God, pray the Lord for us.
Mary, taken up to Heaven, pray the Lord for us.
Mary at Bethlehem, pray for all mothers.
Mary at Nazareth, pray for all families.
Mary at Cana, pray for all married couples.
Mary, who stood by the Cross, pray for all who suffer.
Mary in the Upper Room, pray for all who wait.
Mary, model of womanhood, pray for all women.
 
Woman of faith, keep us in mind.
Woman of hope, keep us in mind.
Woman of charity, keep us in mind.
Woman of suffering, keep us in mind.
Woman of anxiety, keep us in mind.
Woman of humility, keep us in mind.
Woman of poverty, keep us in mind.
Woman of purity, keep us in mind.
Woman of obedience, keep us in mind.
 
Woman who wondered, remember us to God.
Woman who listened, remember us to God.
Woman who followed, remember us to God.
Woman who longed for Him, remember us to God.
Woman who loved Him, remember us to God.
 
Our Lady of Walsingham, pray the Lord for us. (...)
 
Mother of God, be our mother always.
Mother of the Church, be our mother always.
Mother of the world, be our mother always.
Mother we need, be our mother always.
Mother who went on believing, we thank God for you.
Mother who never lost hope, we thank God for you.
Mother who loved to the end, we thank God for you.
 
All holy and ever-living God, in giving us Jesus Christ to be our Savior and Brother, you gave us Mary, His Mother, to be our Mother also. Grant, we pray you, that we may be worthy of so great a Brother and so dear a Mother. May we come at last to you the Father of us all through Jesus Christ your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit for ever and ever.
Amen.

Shrines

Resources

Additional information