The sanctuary, which dates back to 1830, was enriched inside with gold and precious stones, to receive the holy icon in prodigious circumstances. In 1835, a royal decree declared all Orthodox Pilgrimage, while Catholics have called the Lourdes of the Aegean Sea for its perfect affinity with the Shrine of the French Pyrenees: speaking of repentance, conversion, reconciliation, hope and trust in the intercession of the Virgin Mary for the many sick and afflicted in body and soul.
In 1972, another decree Sacra defined Tinos Island by the value of the miraculous icon of Panagia Evangelistria.
The Sanctuary is a large white building, surrounded by great facilities for the reception of pilgrims and flanked by a double staircase, its bell tower dominates the town with a stunning bay at his feet.
Inside the basilica, to the center, is the seat of the "Evangelistria a marble tabernacle that houses the image of Our Lady of the Annunciation, almost completely covered in jewels that blurs the sacred character played on his face.
Leads directly to the shrine through a broad avenue, on solemn occasions, became the scene of particularly poignant scenes: young people who are crawling on your knees, adults dressed in black for a vote, the sick lying on their bed When the procession to the sacred image touch their bodies that send pilgrims aloud to the Mother of God, prayers and supplications poignant.
Inside, the most superficial pilgrim feels a thrill, almost hypnotized by the atmosphere we breathe faith, expressed in ex votos of all kinds, especially miniature ship hanging everywhere, candles and oil lamps glowing in each corner, barefoot faithful pouring scented oil or burn incense before the sacred altar.
Inside the upper church, hundreds of votive offerings of gold and silver, hanging lamps and candles beeswax illuminate the holy icon of the Virgin.
The votive offerings in silver, gold and precious stones, take forms such as a hand or a foot, a cradle, a house or a car. Each tells a story resplendent gift of thanks for an answer to prayer. To the right of the entrance is a lemon tree gold, donated by a blind man who regained his sight.
Even those who do not make a splendid gift have the habit of lighting a candle light inside the church. The devotion of the pilgrims is manifested in these gifts and candles, and piety of those who crawl on their knees at the church from the dock.
The lower church, called the Evresis contains the crypt where the icon was found, and celebrates the discovery. The crypt is surrounded by small chapels, one of which has a font full of silver and gold votive. The crypt is often full of Greek parents and children in white, waiting to be baptized with water from the fountain.
The chapel on the left commemorates the torpedoing by the Italians, the Day of the Dormition of 1940, the Greek ship Helle.
Within the high walls surrounding the church there are several museums and galleries, most of which are interesting mainly as curiosities.
The gallery of religious art of the nineteenth century on the left to go through the front door and another gallery houses of Byzantine icons and the left is a fascinating exhibition of gifts to the cathedral.
The museum of sculpture, to the right and up a flight of stairs is one of the best galleries, containing gifts and sculptors, many very famous.
Just below the site of the Cathedral Leoforos Megaloharis there is a small archaeological museum. The collection includes findings Tesmoforio ancient sanctuary near Exomvourgo, and a sundial in the 2nd century AD found in the Sanctuary of Poseidon and Amphitrite in Kionia.
Tinos is a small island of the Cyclades, between Europe and Asia, and it is the National Shrine of Greece dedicated to the Panagia Evangelistria, ie "All Holy Annunciation". Located near the famous Delos, Tinos, has had several names in Greco-Roman antiquity: Ophiussa because it was full of snakes; Hydrussa by rich water sources; Anemussa due to incessant wind and stormy sea.
Ruled by Venice in 1207, fell under Turkish rule in 1714. After the Greek Revival, Tinos has its ultimate nickname as Madonna Island by the great number of churches and monasteries, and especially the Shrine of the Panagia Evangelistria, emerged as a result of wonders. Festivities attract many pilgrims from Greece and everywhere, especially on August 15, the feast of the Dormition of Mary, who becomes a period of extraordinary fervor which makes for a month in the center of the island and the heart Greek Christianity.